Contact Us | Profile | Quote Request
Gas Mixtures | Refrigerants | Pure Gas | Carbon
Equipment | Defense Services | Guest book
|Periodic Chart||Chart Index||Reference|
|General Characteristics||Health Hazards||Material Recommendations|
|A colorless and extremely reactive compressed gas.||Toxic, ignites spontaneously in air.||Noncorrosive to most metals. Stainless steel, aluminum, iron and brass.|
|TLV-TWA||Flammable Limits||DOT Class / Label|
|Flammable||2.1 / Flammable|
|Molecular Weight||Specific Gravity||Specific Volume|
|32.1||1.114 @ 70° F||12.10 cu.ft./lb @ 70° F|
|CGA Valve Outlet||CAS Registry No.||UN Number|
|National Stock Number (NSN) Applicable to Silane||MIL Specs/ Fed Specs
MSDS for Silane
@ 70 F
Silane - SiH
Precautions in handling and storage:
The following specific precautions should be observed in handling silane:
1) Store at positive pressures.
2) Piping and equipment should be thoroughly pressure checked above working pressure and be genuinely air-tight.
3). Do not condense (110°C or less) silane. Serious accidents have occurred with liquid and solid silane.
4) Evacuate piping and systems and purge with inert gas before introducing silane.
5) Vent with carrier gas to outdoors no hoods through pipe small enough to insure no back diffusion. Stainless steel or iron pipe is preferred.
6) Use diaphragm pack-less valves with resilient seats such as Teflon.
7) Remove back plates on rotameters and pressure gauge covers.
8) Pressure regulators used with silane should have metal diaphragms to allow complete evacuation. CFC Model SGVSGS260D (Stainless Steel High Pressure Single Stage with Tied Diaphragm).
9) Be very cautious about using silane in systems with halogenated compounds. Even a trace of free halogen can be violently explosive with silane.
10) Mixtures down to 1% silane in hydrogen and / or nitrogen have been found to be spontaneously flammable when mixed with air. Note: At very high escape velocities mixtures as high as 10% may not spontaneously ignite. Venting of hydrogen - silane mixtures of any concentration should be done as if it were pure silane.
11) Ground all lines and equipment used with silane.
12) Do not store reserve stocks of silane with cylinders containing oxygen or other highly oxidizing materials.